Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

How do sew an overlaid seam and double stitched seam

Asked by: 22 views , , , ,
Do It Yourself

Simple instructions please and a video or pictures would be nice.

    By:Linda S

    Overlaid is also known as the Run and Fell seam. It's worked from the inside and the seam is sewn up, part of the allowance is trimmed away and the other allowance is pressed over the trimmed seam, folded under and top stitched close to the folded edge. A double stitched seams is a flat felled seam worked on the outside -similar to the yellow top stitching on jeans. The difference is that one seam is worked, trimmed and folded from the inside of the garment and the other is worked on the outside. The end appearance is roughly the same. There is another form of Overlaid Seam where one edge of the fabric is folded over to the wrong side and laid on top of the fabric that it's being sewn to. This is often used for shirt and dress yokes, places where there's vents, panels of other structural or decorative details. It's also a shortcut for anyone who doesn't want to do complex stay stitching and curve clipping -such as found on cowboy and western shirts -and to reduce bulk in thick fabrics such as wool meltons.

    These are terms that are a little "slippery" -they can mean different things to different people and the definition has changed over time. There's also confusion because what one person calls "flat felled" another will call double stitched. Here are a few links: http://www.craftsneedlework.com/overlaid…

1 Answers

  1. kay on Jul 18, 2012 Reply

    Those are not names of seam types I recognize (I speak American, not British, sewing). Can you spot the types of seam in this series of diagrams? If you can, I can show you how to sew them:

    Im thinking you might be talking about a lap seam: LSa or LSb, and a French

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Answer Question

Related questions: